You are here: Home | About SAAEP | Project Overview
Southern Alberta Alternative Energy Partnership Initiative
Based on our available natural resources, existing expertise and established developments, the initiative will focus on 3 streams of alternative energy:
- Bio-Energy – (including ethanol, bio-diesel and bio-mass).
Project Scope – Phase One
The true potential for alternative energy development will be determined through the gathering and analysis of information regarding current technologies, regulations and business models that are currently being used or developed. That information collection and analysis will require a number of individual studies/projects in order to understand the full scope of recommendations for implementation in phase two.
To support the communication and awareness of the initiative, the sponsoring organizations are also developing an Advisory Committee. The committee, scheduled to commence late September, will consist of up to 15 members from the region who will focus their proceedings on five key areas that make up the first phase of the project:
- Review information on alternative energy opportunities and strategies specific to bio-energy, wind and solar energy
- Identify barriers to development and recommend political lobbying strategies to support the growth of this sector in the region
- Identify specific growth opportunities and make recommendations on developing industry interest
- Recommend public consultation strategies to enhance broad-based awareness and understanding of the benefits and opportunities for developing alternative energy systems
- Encourage local applications of alternative energy opportunities both at the municipal and individual stakeholder level.
The key outcomes expected of this phase are:
- To gather information and research on the targeted alternative energy systems
- To channel this information through the various potential stakeholders; developers, residents, businesses, government etc., creating a better understanding and acceptance of alternative energy systems for the region.
- Provide a long-term, comprehensive strategic plan that will build these systems in a sustainable manner.
- Secure the addition and expansion of related businesses and industry, in order to provide sustainable economic development.
- Identify and support the development of systems that will provide energy directly to the individuals and organizations in the region, vs the traditional utility companies.
- Commence activities that will meet the stated objective of becoming the “Leader in Alternative Energy Production and Manufacturing in the World”.
Phase two will concentrate on the implementation of the recommendations brought forth by the committee as a result of phase one activities.
Return to About SAAEP